Books + Coffee = Happiness

Tuesday 20 March 2012

Book Review: My Soul to Keep - Rachel Vincent

Published on June 1st 2010 by Harlequin

Goodreads Description:
Kaylee has one addiction: her very hot, very popular boyfriend, Nash. A banshee like Kaylee, Nash understands her like no one else. Nothing can come between them.Until something does.Demon breath. No, not the toothpaste-challenged kind. The Netherworld kind. The kind that really can kill you. Somehow the super-addictive substance has made its way to the human world. But how? Kaylee and Nash have to cut off the source and protect their friends—one of whom is already hooked.And so is someone else…

Like with the rest of the books in the series, it's been a little over a year since I last read this one. But despite that fact, the emotion that I felt with the book haven't changed in the slightest.

It starts off pretty normal; Kaylee, Nash and Emma are at a party hosted by one of Nash's jock friends. But a few pages later, all of that innocence changes because Kaylee discovers that one of their friends was taking Demon Breath, a dangerous, addictive substance that originated in the Netherworld from a hellion, which could result in the loss of the taker's sanity. As horrifying as it is, Kaylee decides to step in once again to put a stop to this.

However, it's not as easy as it seems, because they also have to find out who's selling Demon Breath (AKA "frost" as they call it), what demon it came from and how it crossed over into their world. To make matters worse, the popularity of Demon Breath is quickly spreading throughout the teen population and is becoming an epidemic crisis. And to add to their trouble, Kaylee has to keep all of this away from her father's ears or else he would put an end to his daughter's involvement.

I can say that definitely, this is one of my favorites in the series, since the theme suddenly got a lot darker than the previous two books. The deaths and a huge character plot revealed made my heart ache for everything that Kaylee had to go through. Life for her used to be a lot simpler than it was now, but she can't go back to the way it was. And it's certainly not like she could just turn a blind eye on everything that's happening, especially when it's this close to home, endangering everyone that she knows.

Kaylee never fails to impress me with her courage and intelligence, and in MStK, there's no exception. This is probably why I love her so much as a character. Sure, she does have a few insecurities and weaknesses, but it only makes her character realistic and easier to relate to. Kaylee is not afraid of backing down no matter what the circumstances are and I admire that aspect of her. As for Nash, I have to admit that even though I knew what was going to happen, I couldn't help but be annoyed and frustrated with Nash throughout the book. It wasn't until more than halfway through was the reason revealed for his actions. Lastly, Tod... oh my reaper. Although I hated the fact that he was absent for the first half of the book, his screen time in the second half made up for it. While Nash was away, Tod was there as a beam of support for Kaylee. He helped her when she needed it and stood by her, supporting her all the way. And when we found out what he was doing during his absence in the first half? All the love for Tod. I think it was here (when I first read this) that I fell in love with Tod's character. Especially what he did in the end for Kaylee.

Once again, Rachel Vincent did an AMAZING job with this book. If you haven't read the series (and is a YA paranormal fan), I would highly recommend that you do.

Source: Borrowed
My Rating:  4 and a half coffee cups (Loved it)

No comments:

Post a Comment